Friday, December 18, 2009

Confirmation

Got a phone call from my father a few days ago. He spoke to his older brother, who confirmed Grandpa Walt did enlist in the military. But his service was brief. He was discharged due to a severe health condition.

My father also told me he remembers attending a Gene Autry rodeo with his father and brother. A rodeo bronco named Applesauce got too close to the edge of the ring and banged up my uncle's legs with his bucking. When I talk to my uncle, I'm supposed to ask him about Applesauce.

I wasn't sure how my dad would react to my investigating his father's past. I was afraid it might bring up a lot of unpleasant memories for him. But he seems to want to learn more. How will this research affect my relationship with my Dad?

No comments:

Post a Comment